Monday, October 29, 2012

I'm Back!

I'm back!  It has been 2 months since we moved into our Ryan Home and I am ashamed to say that I still have many boxes that need to be unpacked!  We have been so busy since day 1.  It seems like one thing has come up after another.  I just need one free week or at a few free weekends to start decorating and picking out furniture and colors.  We have been battling critters for the past few weeks.  So many different kind that I will dedicate the next post to them! 

We LOVE our new home and our neighborhood.  The kids are doing great at their new schools.  My husband is getting used to the extra 15 minutes that has been added on to his commute.  I think the three car garage that houses his new 4-wheeler makes up for the extra 15 minutes! 

Settlement went smoothly.  The move took a lot longer than we had expected.  We packed ourselves and hired McKendree Moving & Storage company for the move.  The movers did an excellent job.  Our furniture and belongings arrived in perfect shape.  We had 5 movers that worked unbelievably hard the ENTIRE time from 8am to 10pm.  We were quoted an estimated time at an hourly rate.  With the move taking longer than expected, it went over by $1,000.  Apparently, we had a lot more stuff than we appeared to have!  I called the owner and he split the difference with me.  I would hire McKendree Moving again and recommend them to anyone, but I would recommend negotiating a flat rate.

Our kitchen turned out perfect!  I finally hunted down the hardware that I saw in the Richmond Homes' model.  It is made by Aristokraft.  I contacted a dealer and was initially told that Aristokraft discontinued all of their hardware.  I contacted Aristodraft via their website to see if they had any left in stock that they could sell me directly.  They informed me that they did NOT discontinue their hardware line.  I was relieved!  I called a few dealers to compare prices and ended up getting each piece (all 48 of them!) for $3 less than the majority of the dealers were selling them for.

Our 30 day list was taken care of in a very timely manner.  We did not have anything major on the list.  Everything was scheduled to be taken care of in one day, which made it convenient.  We had crews in and out all day.  Then it was time to sign off and say goodbye to our project manager, Josh.  I think it is safe to say that we had Ryan Homes' best project manager.  He was detail oriented.  This worked out perfect, since I was striving for perfection!  I never had to fight or explain much to get things corrected and most of problems were resolved before I even had a chance to mention them.  Josh was responsive and very knowledgeable.  We had absolutely no complaints about our project manager.

We had a few settlement issues in our yard due to it being graded during a very dry period.  The ground started to settle after it rained a few times.  Now we are bracing for days of rain and wind from Hurricane Sandy.  I hope that we lost all of our weak trees during the derecho.  I guess we will know by the end of the week.  

We love our new Ryan Home and I plan on continuing to update this blog.  Be on the look out for my critters' post, the digging of our well and installing a battery back up sump pump.  I'll be back!


Signing my life away!

Awesome fixed rate!


Love, love, love!



Grout Sealer - I recommend sealing your grout immediately after settlement. 
Otherwise, you might put it off and never get around to it. 

Our cool refrigerator!

Santa Cecilia Granite

On the move!

Moving Day

Strong Men

New Refrigerator

We removed the shoe molding, so we could push our refrigerator back further.

The delivery guys had to take the door off of the hinges to get the refrigerator in.

Touch-up Painter

HVAC Tech

Paint Touch-ups

30 Day List

Our AWESOME project manager, Josh!

Our house is getting major touch-ups!

I filled a jar with extra paint for quick touch-ups.
It is much easier to unscrew a jar than it is to pry open a paint can.

Child Labor!

Preparing for Halloween

New Filter vs. Old Filter (after 30 days)

Driveway Settlement Repair

Home Sweet Home

Bye Josh

Kitchen



Sink Hole... settlement around our septic system

    Pin It now!

14 comments:

  1. Are you drilling the holes for your hardware yourselves? If so, what are you using? Hardware is #1 on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are going to use a drill template that we bought at Lowe's. I am not sure which drill bit we are going to use. The hardware should be delivered by next week. I'll let you know.

      Delete
  2. dont feel bad while i've finally unpacked my boxes i haven't done a thing else...we are working on week 5 since the move. i need to do hardware too but i still dont know what i want :-/ seems like it should be a simple process right

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I can't wait to finally get everything together. I need to visit some models for inspiration. I am looking at family room pictures on http://www.houzz.com right now.

      Delete
  3. check below link, its Avalon Isle model home.

    http://www.blackstreamcreative.com/builders/tour.aspx?tn=1857

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that link Debra. It looks a lot different than my house. There are features that I did not know where available, such as the step/bench in front of the master bath and the step up in the middle bedroom.

      Delete
  4. above model link is in Apex,NC. we saw this model home, its more beautiful than virtual tour!
    also now Avalon became Avalon Isle with some more included features like two washroom on main floor, if we select optional guest bedroom than we will get total two washroom on mainfloor one is powder room & 2nd is full washroom with guest room(in suit).
    check kitchen sink on that link, you will get small platform on above sink, below two windows.

    check below link, its diffrent model but its beautiful 2story familyroom!
    http://www.motion-vr.net/ryan/ryan_tours.aspx?tn=826

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I had no idea that Ryan Homes had a new Avalon model. The Genavieve model that you posted a link to is absolutely gorgeous! The white cabinets in that kitchen are much nicer than our cabinets. They have a lot more detail on each panel. I really like the rails on the staircase. I wonder if this is how the staircase upgrade comes now.

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot for publishing 10% off lowe's coupon.
      we just used it with black friday sale!
      got great deal on washer, dryer & refrigarator + another 10% off!

      Thanks
      Debra

      Delete
  5. Our first month has been incredibly busy and still not finished. WE too are loving our Avalon!!! What's not to love :) I hope to get back to posting too.
    Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the house! It looks cozy and neat! It is strongly recommended to keep an eye out on your roof, since there are trees about. Leaves can block your gutter and they can be a cause of damage. It will be best to conduct a routine roof cleaning every six months or so.

    Hayden Adler

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria, this is Danielle from We're building a Savoy…thanks for following my blog. Your house is beautiful, I love your kitchen cabinets. You asked where I got the black framed art, wish I could take credit for that, but that's a model home not too far from our house. But if you're looking for something similar to that to frame, try www.kirklands.com or HomeGoods. Happy shopping and I look forward to reading more of you posts too!

    ReplyDelete