Sunday, July 1, 2012

Holes in our roof, broken windows... Derecho Storm Damage

On Friday night, our area was hit by a rare derecho storm and as you can see it hit us pretty hard.   I have never been so scared in my entire life!  We have broken windows, holes in our roof and a few trees that came down in our yard.  Insulation was blown off of the walls and out of the ceiling.  I hope we are never hit with another derecho!  I didn't even know what a derecho was.  It means "straight" in Spanish, so basically it is a storm that comes at you with straight-line winds at up to 85 miles per hour in our case. 

Here are a few excerpts from the linked news article: 

"Outside a hurricane, a derecho is one of the worst storms that can run through the area," Stinneford says. "It's very unusual to have a derecho come this far south, also to come in the evening, also to come over the [Blue Ridge] mountains."

"This was a very large derecho," says Stinneford. "This is probably one of the biggest ones we've ever seen ... probably one of the worst storms ever in D.C. outside of a hurricane or the type of the damage you see from a major winter storm." 

Here's a link with more about this rare storm that hit us: http://www.wtop.com/?nid=893&sid=2925683


Check out our not-so-new house:



Basement Entrance

We lost quite a few trees



They just split right in half!

Broken window in the study

More trees that came down

Broken study window - the panes are even broken

Holes in our roof from - looking up from one of the bedrooms

Holes in our roof

Check out the roots on the big tree that came down

The side of our house




This tree used to shade our entire house for most of the day,
not anymore!

The tree that came down is huge!







The holes in our roof and many scuffed up shingles


The roots of the big tree



Our next door neighbor's damage



We have light!  That big tree used to block this sunlight.


Holes in our roof

Holes in our roof


The big tree!





Pin It now!

27 comments:

  1. Maria, I'm so sorry to see all that damage to your beautiful, new home. I'm sure it must have been heartbreaking to see :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, I am just glad that it happened before we moved in vs. after.

      Delete
  2. Oh man I'm sorry! That's no good! :( We had two large storms over the weekend and have a lot of smaller branches down and a smaller tree fell behind the new house. Hopefully the can repair the damage fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were out there repairing the roof today and the tree was already cut up!

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry! I would be heartbroken! But at the same time, grateful you weren't in the house and that this all happened during building so you aren't financially responsible for the repairs! I can't even imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know, I feel bad for my neighbors that had damage.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about the house, I went and checked on our lot the next day as well since we are also in MD. I work for FEMA so the damage from the storm in our area and in other states made my weekend quite busy. Hope they replace everything quickly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are you building in Maryland? My husband works in Virginia and said that they were hit pretty hard also.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I am so sorry to see all this! We were hit really hard too, but fortunately, did not suffer all that much damage. It will all be like new in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They already started putting it back together!

      Delete
  6. Your breath must have caught driving up to your home and seeing that damage. I am so sorry! It is good you were not living there!!! When lots are cleared it weakens tree roots. I fear storms and trees!!! Hope they get it cleared up soon and does not delay your build.
    D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, this lot has been clear for a few years. I am glad it happened now vs. later. They cut up the trees today and started repairing the roof.

      Delete
  7. Aw, sorry to hear about the damage! That would have made me tear up! Hard to see your house beat up. We had some damage, but no where near the extent of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Luckily, our current house only lost a shutter! Our project manager was on top of things. He went out there first thing on Saturday morning and reinstalled our installation. The trees are cut up and the roof was repaired today.

      Delete
  8. I hate to see this! That same line of storms came through OH, too. Lots of people I know still without power. I hope they can patch up your new home without too much trouble!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that the storms came from OH. All of this loss of power is making me consider a generator. We never lose power in our current house. It sounds like they lose power quite often in the new neighborhood. :-(

      Delete
  9. WOW! I'm so sorry for the damage your home took. I too am glad that this occured before you closed on the house. Steve stopped by our neighborhood on Sunday to survey the damage that have taken place to the structure, and luckily all he could find was a light cart turned over in the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am glad that your home was not damaged. We lost a shutter on our house in Charles Crossing!

      Delete
  10. Oh my! I am glad the damage was not overly extensive and that you hadn't moved in yet.

    That tulip tree must have had a huge canopy. Will you be replanting a new one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea what type of tree that was. I have never heard of a tulip tree. I will be long gone before a new one ever reaches that height again! We are going to plant something there. I just have no idea what!

      Delete
    2. It looks like you had a tulip tree and a sweet gum tree down. Both leave a lot of seed litter so it could be a blessing in disguise. Although...if you like outdoor fires...the sweet gum seeds (which I'm sure there are more around) make great fire starters. :) I'm glad they are cleaning it up for you.

      Delete
  11. We got the same storm. Brick walls that surround our pool fell over at our condo - where we currently live. I was so nervous to visit the house we are building. We drove out there on Saturday and I got even more nervous once I realized that all of our windows and doors were open. Some of the outside wrap came loose, but surprisingly there was no other damage. There was some water in the basement but that's because they haven't installed the basement window yet. Just be glad this happened before you closed! Now RH has to take care of the mess, instead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Based on how the surrounding greenery yielded to the storm, you are still lucky that the house still managed to stand and survive. But I have to say, the repair is going to be some work. The hole on the roof looks really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a good thing that none of you were hurt. How's your house now? Are all the broken windows and holes on your roof fixed and reinforced? Damages are to be expected whenever a storm passes because it's an inevitable force of nature. Reinforcing our houses and being prepared are the things we can do for our part.

    Mariam Freame

    ReplyDelete
  15. That “derecho” really left damage to your house! It's scary enough to see it in the photos; I can't imagine how much more horrible it would be if I were in that house. Did you have the holes in the roof fixed immediately? There could be greater damage if it rains with holes in the roof. Glad you're all well, by the way!

    Mary Martin

    ReplyDelete