Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Granite, Trim, Paint & Tons of Pictures!

Our granite was installed and it is PERFECT!!!  I was so worried that it would turn out too yellow.  I wanted brown, but did not want to pay over $2,000 more for Giallo Venezia, plus some batches have a tendency to look pink.  On the other hand, Santa Ceclia granite can turn out yellow, but our batch ended up being on the brown side.  I could not have asked for a better batch to go with our cabinets.  

Do you remember when I was trying to recreate that perfect kitchen I think I am getting close!  Now, I have to pick out hardware for the cabinets.  I don't know if I want to go with knobs or handles.  Any thoughts?   

Updates: 
  • 7/5/12 - Septic was installed
  • 7/7/12 - Drywall mud was sanded
  • 7/9/12 - Vinyl floors were installed
  • 7/11/12 - Shutters, interior trim, kitchen & bathroom cabinets, interior doors and bathroom sinks were installed.  Well was dug (pictures & video coming soon!)
  • 7/12/12 - Granite template was drawn
  • 7/13/12 - Drywall touch-up
  • 7/16/12 - Wall and trim painted
  • 7/17/12 - Granite was installed

Click on the images to enlarge
and use the arrows on your keyboard to scroll through them.





Kitchen & Rear Staircase



My PM is on top of things!

Dining Room

Foyer

Living Room

Basement Storage & Holding Tank for Water

Screens

Space Age Water Heater!

My son insisted on taking a picture of this bug in our basement!
I just realized that this poor bug was painted along with the walls today!

Basement

Basement

Sitting high... debating on a deck or patio with stairs that turn.

Basement Exit

Going up from the basement

Basement exit

Looking out from the study.. I love the transom windows above the doors!

Santa Cecilia Granite with Timberlake Rushmore Painted Maple Hazelnut Glaze cabinets



Master bedroom with tray ceiling

Master Bathroom

Looking into master bedroom from master bathroom


Master bedroom looking into sitting room

Master bedroom looking into hallway with closets leading to the master bathroom

Sitting room looking into master bedroom

Dear Ryan Homes, Please correct your blueprints, so this is flush.

Personally, I wouldn't even install it like this.
They look unfinished or like we added them ourselves. 

This would look so much better if the bulkhead was about 6 inches wider.
The column support in our current Ryan Home is flush with the top of the column.
I really do not know what they were thinking when they drew this plan up.

Looking into bedroom #2

Hallway

Bedroom #4

Leading into Jack & Jill bathroom

Bedroom #4's sink in Jack & Jill bathroom

Bedroom #3's sink in Jack & Jill bathroom

Jack & Jill Bathroom

Bedroom #3's walk-in closet (left) and Jack & Jill bathroom entrance.  We are going to take the doors leading to the Jack & Jill sinks from the bedrooms off of the hinges.  It feels like you are walking through a maze of doors.  We just realized today that you have to close the bathroom door to get into the closet. 

Bedroom #3

Foyer

Foyer

Kitchen

Kitchen & Morning Room

Kitchen, Family Room & Rear Staircase

Breakfast bar in morning room

The excitement is setting in!

Santa Cecilia Granite



Island with glass windows in cabinets
Looking out from our front door


Pin It now!

32 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! I love the granite and not just because I have the same one! I like the tray ceiling in the BR but it wasn't offered here. I never thought to ask if they could do a non-standard on that. Yes, that column support definitely seems a bit odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you're opinion is a little biased, but I'll take it! LOL
      The tray ceiling was standard with our floor plan. That column support is driving me crazy! I have a Ryan Home Courtland right now and the column support is flush with the columns.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! The counter tops look perfect with your cabinets - very nice. And I'm with you on the column - very bizarre. The house is coming along wonderfully - won't be too long before you're blogging from your new house!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :-)
      Yes, very bizarre! I cannot believe things are moving so quickly.

      Delete
  3. i am in agreeance the counter tops are a perfect match the kitchen will be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was a huge relief for me.

      Delete
  4. Totally awesome! I'll be stalking these pictures a lot. Say Hey PM what's up with that column? I can't wait to see how you will decorate.
    The front yard looks big, what a nice neighborhood. We had well and septic at our old place. Never had any problems with the water but we were always careful. Set aside a repair fund for when you might have any pump problems. OH and that is some super hot water heater!
    We drove out yesterday, nothing but more stuff had been delivered. SIGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My PM said that the blueprints call for the walls and columns to line up like this. The Avalon model in our area is even built this way. I wonder what the Ryan Homes architects were thinking or if they have ever seen their design company in person? I hope you see some progress on your house soon!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous kitchen! So happy your granite turned out well - we chose Santa Cecilia too and I hope ours is as beautiful as yours! And your lot looks amazing - open and light but still woodsy and lovely. Moving right along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The granite guy said that the Santa Cecilia has been coming in on the lighter side lately. Did they break ground on your house yet?

      Delete
  6. Wow-it's looking amazing, Maria! I think I said before-but I LOVE the cabinets and the windows in the cabinets on the bar. I think we are getting the same granite...looks amazing in your kitchen! I can't believe how fast your house is coming together-when is your estimated closing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now that the granite was installed and looks great, I feel a great sense of relief. I was really worried that it would come in a color that would not look good with the cabinets. We are scheduled to settle on August 23, 2012.

      Delete
  7. You are right, that granite looks PERFECT with your cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do not think I could have been luckier.

      Delete
  8. Alright, Alright, Alright MARIA!!!! YOUR DREAM KITCHEN IS COMING TO LIFE!! IT IS HOTT! THE GRANITE IS A HIT! Now you can relax and begin playing with your paint colors and accessories!! I am starting to rethink my backsplash. I have two colors to choose from, sienna gold which makes it POP and would look great with St. Cecilia gold undertone which is what I saw in the flooring dept and the other color is the neutral with a white/grayish undertone that will work with the brown undertone. Geesh! What am I going to do? It is such a huge risk keeping the backsplash with the sienna gold but it's ole so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Nadase! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Yes, I can now relax, but not for long. I have to get into packing mode! I would be nervous about choosing the backsplash before seeing the slab of granite that you will get. When we were going to go with Espresso cabinets, we were having a really hard time choosing a tile for the kitchen floor, because the Santa Cecilia granite could have turned out really gold or really white/gray.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous! Hard to think a few weeks ago I was looking at photos from a storm. Also? Glad to see another Ryan person has septic. I thought I was the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erica! My neighbor's house still has a big tarp covering the storm damage on the back of his house. Our project manager had everything fixed in no time! There aren't many of us on septic. How many acres are you on? We are on 1 acre. I would rather be on public sewer. Do you have a well also?

      Delete
  10. Wow! The kitchen looks absolutely beautiful!

    Do you know which MD distributor was used for your granite? I hope our Santa Cecilia comes from a similar batch! We were told it was coming in darker but it just depended on which distributor they used. I'm anxious to see our cabinets but we still have many weeks to go.

    RE knobs versus handles. If you're going to do stainless steel/brushed nickel, I'd recommend handles so you can mimic the handles in your appliances. If oil-rubbed bronze, I'd say either will work--I think the bronze will pick up the brown tones in the granite and the edges of the your beautiful cabinets--base base it on your interior decorating style. If you prefer elegance, go with the handles to give you a sleeker look.

    I hear you on the columns...

    P.S. I think you have officially swayed my husband with your kitchen. I'm thinking the next kitchen (whenever that will be!) will have similar cabinets plus the dark floor that I originally wanted. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The granite is distributed by M R Stone LLC, which is owned by M&R Flooring (the ceramic tile company that RH uses in our area). The slab yard is in Frederick, MD. The manager sent me a picture on two different days. The granite that came in a day later had a lot of white and gray in it and not much brown.

      I am going to have to pick up a few knobs and handles at Lowes and hold them up against the cabinets. Thanks for your input.

      You never know, you may move sooner than you think you will! Waiting on that granite was nerve racking! I was so afraid that it would come in too yellow/gold.

      Delete
    2. Hi Maria, thanks to SuDe, I checked to see if we could pick out our slab in Maryland because her area allowed it. I see you did some research too! I will be picking out my very own slab at the main warehouse when it's time for the template to be measured! HOLLA!! My color palettes are varied and out of the box and picking out the right slab is so important! The catch is a $150 fee for all RH customers. I would be obliged to pay the fee than to have the wrong slab.

      Delete
  11. I have no clue what we get on knobs or handles!!! My old house had handles and that is what I would prefer. Agree it shows a bit of class to the kitchen.
    I don't even know if they share pictures of slabs for us to choose!!! You have me on a mission to find out!
    Aug 24th so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am leaning towards handles, but then we'll have to drill twice as many holes! The stone manager sent us pictures as a courtesy. He was sending us pictures to give us an idea of what our batch would look like, not to choose one. They get several (I think 8-10) counters out of a block, so the color is going to be similar for all of the counters that day. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Maria, this is great information!!! Who is the point of contact at the warehouse for the granite. I was told I am a bit early for an appointment. However, it would be nice to talk to the Manager instead of the receptionist and to get pictures before I drive all the way up there too.

      Delete
    3. Nadase, Email me at mariastrong(at)hotmail(dot)com

      Delete
  12. You can do a combination of knobs and handles. I like handles on the large cabinets and draws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadase, I like that idea. I am heading to Pinterest for inspiration!
      http://pinterest.com/mariastrong/

      Delete
    2. Most of your cabinets are wide and would look so elegant with handles. Unless, you were looking for a combo style with both knobs and handles. I am going with the handles in the kitchen (when I look at pictures with the knobs on the tall/thinner cabinets in my kitchen, it looks a little weird to me, so I am choosing to keep with the elongated touch with the handles for all of them, crystal glass knobs in my master bathroom, and handles for both basement and guest bathroom for an elegant touch.

      Delete
  13. I am having an issue with our granite. We too went with the Santa Cecilia and the sample in the model is very white with grey tones, however the place in Cincinnati where our granite comes from, all of the slabs are yellow. I have asked to change our granite choice and was told I am not allowed. (We broke ground 2 weeks ago). I think it is odd the small sample in the model is so white/ grey and anyone in our neighborhood who goes with Santa Cecilia is actually getting an ugly yellow granite. Any advice? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete