Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Framers Will Be Back Tomorrow For The Following...

The framers are scheduled to come back tomorrow to check on the roof (see previous post), fix a few studs, move the study and living room windows down about two feet to make them level with the other windows in those rooms.  I posted pictures of the model home and pictures of our house below.  We were told that there was a 2 foot rule code to prevent toddlers from falling out windows at a higher elevation.  The windows on the front of the house can be placed lower, because there is not much of a drop.  This still did not explain why the back windows at a higher elevation than the side windows could not be positioned at the same height.  Anyway, they were able to get approval to lower the side living room windows and side study window to match the height of the back study window.  

I am having a stud added to the middle of the wall that  you walk under when going down the stairs into the basement.  The model and one of my friends with the Avalon both have a mirror or picture hanging there.  I wanted to make sure I had a stud to hang a mirror or picture on in the future.

I also need to ask about the gap in the morning room ceiling.  It was never closed and the black roofing felt was laid right over it. Update: My PM just e-mailed me and explained that this is where  they install the ridge vent and cap shingles are installed over it. 

Living Room Windows - Model vs. Our House

Study Windows - Model vs. Our House

The picture that I texted to my PM! My husband said it looked like a comic book pic!

Morning Room Ceiling with gap - emailed picture to my PM
The bad studs were spray painted orange



Pin It now!

15 comments:

  1. That is so strange that they would install the windows like that. I'm glad they are moving them for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really threw me off when I was standing in the study, because the windows were the exact same size but installed at different heights. It would have looked crazy with window treatments.

      Delete
  2. I agree...very very strange!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know... they build according to the blueprints and for some reason when you add extra windows to those rooms, they are elevated on the blueprints.

      Delete
  3. Maria, it's a good thing you are on top of everything! Lot's of people miss these details. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to wonder what they were thinking when they put those windows in, hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The uneven windows in the office gave it an Alice in Wonderland effect!

      Delete
  5. Maybe it's just me, but not only are they higher but they seem really close together too. The model pic shows enough room for those 2 pictures in between ...interesting! Hope they make it work for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Summer! I could see the difference now that you have pointed it out! I am sure they will work it out. I have no idea what they were drinking---happy Maria was able to catch it!

      Delete
    2. They lowered the windows today. I didn't even bother asking if they could separate them. I can tell you what they were drinking... Heineken, but that could have been after they got off in the evening!!! They were just following the blueprints. I think the blueprints need to be revised.

      Delete
  6. The gap in the morning room ceiling is for venting. The entire roof should have this at all the peaks, not just the morning room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the insight! I definitely had this on my list and was armed present myself as the professional builder that I am (my new job I created since we are now buying a RH). lol

      Delete
    2. Thanks JR! @Nadase - LOL! Please post your list.

      Delete