Monday, May 7, 2012

Trying to Recreate this Dream Kitchen with Ryan Homes

This is my dream kitchen, BUT it is a Richmond Homes' kitchen.  I fell in love with it in a model near my home.  I went back and forth from their model to the Ryan model to view samples, to another Ryan Home under construction with white cabinets, to Lowes to view different cabinets and then finally to Timberlake Cabinetry's website (Ryan Homes cabinet manufacturer).  The cabinets offered by Ryan Homes, Rushmore Painted Maple Butterscotch Glaze, did not have the same warm rich feeling that the cabinets pictured did.  After my many trips from place to place, I realized that the Richmond American Homes'  kitchen had a Hazelnut glaze (brown) and the Ryan Home had a Butterscotch (yellow/orange) glaze.  It makes a world of difference!

I went to Timberlake Cabinetry's website and was thrilled to find out that the Rushmore Painted Maple cabinets are also offered in a Hazelnut glaze.  I submitted a custom order request for the Hazelnut glaze with Ryan Homes.  Ryan's white cabinet choice is very expensive ($6,690) as it is, so I hope they are able to offer the Rushmore Painted Maple Hazelnut Glaze cabinets for the same price, considering they are from the same exact line as the Rushmore Painted Maple Butterscotch Glaze.  I hope to know something this week.

Click on the image to enlarge

In the meantime, I had my meeting at M&R Floors to pick out ceramic tile for my backup option of Espresso cabinets (that I'm not 100% sold on).  It was my unlucky day.  The designer that has worked there for many years resigned from her job a day or two before my appointment... the appointment that I waited over a month for!  I had to meet with someone else from another department that was just filling in for the day.  The showroom was small, the lightning was bright (track spot lights hanging from a low ceiling) and most of the ceramic tile that was displayed on the showroom floors was outdated and no longer available.  My mom accompanied me on this trip while my husband coached our son's flag football game.  At one point we had about 10-15 ceramic tiles laying on the floor (with the outdated tile floors laying beneath as a backdrop) and it become overwhelming.  I ended up upgrading to a level C, but did not know if it really matched the granite that we picked out.  Our time was up and we left there feeling uneasy about the choice for the ceramic tile in the kitchen.  I am going to call M&R Floors this week to see if I can come back in and meet with a designer.

If the Hazelnut cabinets get approved at the same price as the Butterscotch cabinets, then I can just proceed with wood floors in the kitchen and save myself a trip to back to the ceramic tile design center. 

I met with CTI later that evening and had a completely different experience.  The showroom was just I would imagine a flooring showroom to be.  Our salesperson was very organized and knowledgeable.  Our appointment with her was perfect!  I wish that we could have picked out our ceramic tile at CTI.  Ryan Homes should really consider sending their DC Metro area customers to one location to pick out all of their flooring.



Pin It now!

8 comments:

  1. We selected all of our flooring at one location. I can't imagine not having all the selections together to be sure that they all coordinate. Hope you get your approval for the cabinets! That is a beautiful kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was not fun going from one place to another and trying to remember what I had selected earlier in the day. To top it off, both places were an hour from my home. I am glad that you were able to make your selections at one location. I'll keep you updated on the cabinets.

      Delete
  2. I'm in Maryland and had to go to two locations as well; one for ceramic and granite and the other for hardwood and carpet. The process is not customer friendly and I had forgotten what I'd chosen at the first place since the appointments were so far apart.

    Hopefully Ryan takes another look at this process. I also liked CTI better than M&R.

    Also, I've found that getting custom orders through and approved depends on the Sale Rep because mine automatically denied that Ryan customized. I knew it wasn't true but, it let me know what kind of rep I would be working with in regards to his level of effort and his interest in customer satisfaction. Now my eyes are wide open when dealing with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many tiles laid out on the floor that I could not even pick out the tile that I had chosen after we put the all back. I called M&R Floors today to see if I could come back in and have someone assist me with choosing a tile that will go well with Santa Cecilia granite. They didn't sound too thrilled. They said that they are really booked and they will call me back to let me know when they can fit me in. I wish RH would just approve the Hazelnut cabinets, so I could cancel the ceramic tile in the kitchen and run hardwood in there.

      I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with your SR. I was having issues with our first SR that I met with, so I switched SRs. I am now working with a great SR in another model nearby. With you being in Maryland also, your custom requests should take 2 weeks also. Your SR should not have had the right to deny your custom requests automatically. Did you try contacting management regarding your issues with your SR?

      Delete
  3. The design centers/ appointments are set-up to make it seem like we should be able to go in, make selections in 30 mins and be done with the process- I had to visit each place twice and was still indecisive. It's a big decision and I didn't want to make a costly mistake.

    There is only one SR at my location so, I'm stuck; however, I will ask to get contact info for a manager. They still have time to make the change request.

    How is your custom cabinet order going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I did not want to make a costly mistake either. I went back to CTI today and ended up choosing an upgraded regular carpet for the basement versus the shag or berber. My mom bought a Lennar Home two years ago. Everyone gets the same granite, wood floors, cabinets and so on. You don't have a choice, but their combinations look great.

      The cabinets were approved today! Yay!!! They are charging $7,495 for them ($805 more than the butterscotch). I didn't want to pay anymore, but am going to go ahead and get them.

      Delete
  4. I'm wondering how you like your cabinets? I didn't even realize I could ask for a change - we got the butterscotch and I absolutely HATE them - and they were a $8,000 upgrade! I'm going to paint them so I was googling to find out if they are latex or oil and that is how I found your blog! I hope your home is everything you hoped for! ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my cabinets, considering what Ryan had to offer. The Richmond Homes cabinets pictured above are much nicer. We built a Ryan Home (Courtland) 10 years ago and they offered much nicer cabinet choices back then. Our old cabinets had arched panels. I just need to find hardware that will dress up my cabinets. At this time, they look pretty plain.

      Delete